Ankle sprain rehab exercises are essential for ensuring that the ankle recovers completely and that reinjury does not occur.
In the first 72 hours following your ankle injury, begin ankle sprain rehab exercises. Continue with continued treatment over the following weeks to months, including stretching, strength training, and massage therapy. You may practice rehab exercises at home to strengthen your ankles.
In this blog post, we at Massage Rx provide the different methods for the best ankle sprain rehab that can help restore range of motion, improve ankle flexibility, and strengthen the muscles faster.
What helps a sprained ankle heal faster?
What helps a sprained ankle heal faster? Ankle mobility is the flexibility of the ankle joint and its surrounding muscles and tendons. You have a broader range of motion during your activities when your ankle is flexible.
If your ankles are weak or you want to enhance your athletic performance, here are the following methods on what help a sprained ankle heal faster:
RICE is an abbreviation for rest, ice, compression, and elevation:
- Resting the ankle is critical to recovery. Returning to sports or other activities too soon raises the chance of further injury.
- Using an ice pack may assist limit blood flow to the injury and reduce pain and swelling.
- Compression aids in the stabilization of the damaged joint and may minimize swelling.
- Elevating an injured ankle minimizes fluid buildup in the joint. And this can help relieve the discomfort by reducing edema.
Massage & Physical Therapy
- Anyone experiencing long-term discomfort after a significant sprain, and anyone with a history of similar injuries, may benefit from physical therapy.
- Massage can help relieve pain while increasing blood flow to the injured region.
Massage Rx is your best choice for massage therapy in Los Angeles. We can provide more information on what helps a sprained ankle heal faster. We have been known in the industry for offering the best in-home Massage in Los Angeles, lymphatic massage and hotel massage in Los Angeles. Also, check out our blog about why massage is the best Christmas gift ever.
How to rehab a sprained ankle? Check out these rehab exercises!
How to rehab a sprained ankle? Aside from the RICE method and massage and physical therapy, strengthening and stretching exercises are also the best solutions for sprained ankles. Begin the following carefully and utilize your discomfort level to guide you.
- Towel Stretch – Sit up straight with your leg in front of you. Roll a towel and place it beneath the ball of your foot, holding the towel at both ends. Pull the cloth toward you gently while maintaining your knee straight. Hold this position for 15 to 30 seconds, then switch positions 2 to 4 times. In moderate to severe ankle sprains, pulling your toes far enough to feel a stretch in your calf may be too uncomfortable. Use caution and let pain lead you.
- Calf Stretch – Face a wall with your hands at approximately eye level on the wall. Place the leg you wish to extend a step behind the other. Bend your front knee while keeping your back heel on the floor until you feel a stretch in your back leg. For 15 to 30 seconds, hold the stretch. Repeat 2–4 times more. Repeat the exercise with your back knee slightly bent but your back heel remaining on the floor. And this will stretch the calf muscles in a new way.
Depending on the degree of your injury or pain, perform 8 to 12 repetitions of these exercises once or twice daily for 2 to 4 weeks:
- Begin by sitting on the floor and pressing your foot outward against an immovable object, such as a wall or heavy furniture. Hold for around 6 seconds before relaxing. When you’re ready, try utilizing rubber tubing looped around the outside of your feet for resistance. Push your foot out to the side against the tube, then count to ten as you gently return your foot to the center.
- Place your feet flat on the floor while still sitting. Invert your damaged foot against your other foot. Hold for around 6 seconds before relaxing.
- Place your other foot’s heel on top of the affected one. Push down with your upper heel while pushing up with your wounded foot. Hold for around 6 seconds before relaxing.
Want to know more about how to rehab a sprained ankle? Then contact Massage Rx now for various options you can use on how to rehab a sprained ankle! We can also provide the best massage therapy for a fast and reliable solution to your ankle sprain!