The most common and often ignored source of breathing problems is the diaphragm, a muscle between your chest and stomach that helps you breathe. Issues with the diaphragm can cause:
- Difficulty breathing
- Chest, shoulder, or abdominal pain
- Low levels of oxygen in the blood
- Sleep problems
- Breathlessness while lying flat
Conditions Affect the Diaphragm
- Hernias – such as congenital diaphragmatic and hiatal hernia
- Tumors – including lipoma, bronchogenic cysts, thymoma, lung cancer, and mesothelioma
- Paralyzed Diaphragm – caused by neurological disorders and trauma to the phrenic nerve after surgery, radiation, or tumor
Diaphragmatic breathing, also known as belly breathing, helps use the diaphragm correctly while breathing. In this way, it will help the lungs to:
- Strengthen the diaphragm
- Lowers the heart rate
- Decrease oxygen demand
- Use less effort and energy to breathe
Other Benefits of Diaphragmatic Breathing
- Helps you relax, lowering the harmful effects of stress
- Lowers blood pressure
- It will help cope with the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Improves muscle stability
How To Do It?
There are some various forms of diaphragmatic breathing, and the basic and simplest one is the following steps:
- Lie down on a flat surface with a pillow under the head, as it will keep the body in the most comfortable state.
- Place one hand on the middle of the upper chest and the other on the stomach.
- To inhale, slowly breathe in through the nose, then down toward the stomach. The stomach should push upward against the hand while the chest is still at ease.
- To exhale, tighten the abdominal muscles and let the stomach fall downward while exhaling through the lips. Again, the chest should stay still.
For fast and effective results for diaphragm massage, contact the trustworthy and reliable therapists at Massage Rx today!
Our team here at Massage Rx consists of highly trained and experienced massage therapists administering this kind of treatment. Our goal is to help our clients breathe easier, better, and improve their quality of life. See the link below to learn more about our diaphragm massage technique:
As one of the best mobile massage here in Los Angeles, we offer only the best, fast, and accurate manual physical therapy for all your body pain treatment needs. Whether it is diaphragm manual therapy, head pain therapy, or couples massage therapy in Los Angeles, we are the right professionals for you!